Burke: 'I want to crack America'

ITV/Rex Features

Alexandra Burke has confessed that she would love to crack America.

The X Factor winner admitted that watching British acts triumph at Sunday night's Grammy Awards has whetted her appetite for success Stateside.

"Watching Coldplay take away three [awards] was just amazing to watch - it inspired me so much," she told Metro. "I am so happy for them. For that to happen to me... wow, that would be incredible.

"I'm still recovering from Christmas but I still have to pinch myself and realise it's happening - then before I know it I am nominated for a Brit Award which is out of this world. These things all happens so fast and anything is possible now. I want that."

Former X Factor champion Leona Lewis scored a US number one with her debut track 'Bleeding Love' and was nominated for three Grammys at this year's ceremony.

Burke is expected to release her debut LP in November.